- 1lb of Hot Italian Sausage (I love Mulay’s Brand Sausage)
- 1 large, long butternut squash
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves,
- 5 large Basil leaves (or less, I love Basil)
- 1 jar/can of no sugar added pizza or spaghetti sauce like Cucina Antica or Muir Glen
- 1 to 2 cups of dairy free Mozzarella cheese (My fav is Follow Your Heart Brand)
- Red Pepper Flakes if you want to add a little heat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cook sausage with chopped onions and garlic
- Meanwhile, multi-task by slicing the butternut squash. Cut the bulbous part off and save for another dish if you like. It’s just difficult to slice up. Use a mandolin or carefully slice the squash longways, about 4in long.
- Coat an 8×10 baking dish with a cooking spray. Begin prepping the dish by adding the first layer of sauce then the squash then the sausage. Repeat, ending with squash then sauce then cheese.
- Bake for 30min then top with cheese and bake for another 10 to 15min or until brown and bubbly. Allow it to sit and cool for about 30min before cutting into it. I like my cheese extra crisp so I’ll bake a while longer.
This makes about 8 servings.