Get bitchin’ curls with my curly-q tips!
I worked with in an AVEDA concept salon for 13 years and learned just how perfect my curls. If you don’t have curly hair and have some waves, these tips will work just as well and might even give you some curls =)
- Curls NEED MOISTURE. Make sure you are using a highly moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. A smoothing shampoo and conditioner works nicely too. My AVEDA favorite is Smooth Infusion, actually I love the entire line. Another favorite that is budget friendly is the Seaweed Bath Company smoothing shampoo & conditioner.
- After washing your hair, don’t towel dry very much. You want your hair to be pretty damp. So don’t let it sit wrapped up in a towel for very long at all.
- DO NOT brush your hair.
- Applying product:
- First use a smoothing lotion, like AVEDA’s Stlye Prep Smoother or Andalou’s Styling Cream. Depending on length, apply a nickle to a quarter size into palm of hand and spread it all over your hands. Starting from the root, with your fingers “shake” the product into your hair, to the ends. Do this all throughout your hair.
- Next, use a gel. My absolute favorite is the AVEDA Confixor. I’ve been using it for YEARS and love it’s aroma. People know me for it and it’s not crunchy at all! Next best is John Masters Protein Styling Gel. Apply the same way you did your lotion.
- No SCRUNCHING! Doing so will just break up your curls into a frizzy mess!
- Use a diffuser attachment to blow dry. Flip your hair upside down and begin to blow dry your hair in sections, holding for a few seconds and working your way all around. Again, NO SCRUNCHING.
- Blow dry until it’s about 80% dry.
- Apply a smoothing serum to really add shine and softness. A tiny amount, pea size or less, of AVEDA’s Light Elements Smoothing Fluid is the BEST. Since your hair isn’t fully dry be gentle when apply this product so you don’t disturb the curls too much. “Shake” it into your hair, focusing on the ends.
- Set it with some hairspray if you like!
In about 30 to 45 minutes, your hair should be about fully dry. That is when you can really SHAKE IT UP to pump up the volume!
Side note: the more often you diffuse your hair, the MORE curly it will get!
Again, NO brushing and NO scrunching.
Let me know in the comments if you tried my tips! I KNOW it’ll work for you.
I’m taking my curls to headbang to Machine Head tonight. See ya’ll!